Mathematics Statistician (Data Scientist) or Statistician (Data Scientist) - 12 Month Roster
WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LB&I) DIVISION?
WHAT IS THE RESEARCH, APPLIED ANALYTICS, & STATISTICS (RAAS) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Large Business and International (LB&I), and Research, Applied Analytics and Statistics (RAAS)
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Serves as a technical expert with responsibility for the initiation, planning, implementation, controlling, modifying and executing of all or part of an entire project, including such tasks as formulation of workload estimates for program segments, specification of the methodology to be used, preparation of appropriate specifications and procedures, and review of computer systems specifications and materials and instructions needed for assuring the adequacy of the project's design and objectives. Explores novel methods of retrieving data, and develops innovative recommendations to management and senior leadership as a means for making data driven decisions such as modification of processes and policies. Reviews, evaluates, validates, and documents the results of the findings.
- Assists the supervisor in determining the scope, goals and schedules for future programs in the Office. Results have a direct impact on assigned area's policy. Acts as a troubleshooter in resolving bottlenecks at any step in a project by identifying and proposing solutions; this may include coordination with other project team members or stakeholders to mitigate issues.
- Collaborates with business and technology partners to understand business needs, identify opportunities, and develop and implement analytical solutions.
- Identifies and assesses relevant data sources' validity and reliability to meet project needs.
- Collates, cleans, transforms, analyzes, and integrates structured and unstructured data from various sources in preparation for analysis.